Applications are now open for the 2014 round of the New Zealand International Doctoral Research Scholarships (NZIDRS)
The NZIDRS provides full tuition fees plus a living stipend for up to 36 months for international students to undertake PhD study at a New Zealand university. The NZIDRS are funded by the New Zealand Government and administered by Education New Zealand.
The NZIDRS cover:
University tuition fees and associated student levies for 3 years
An annual living stipend of NZ$25,000 or NZ$2083.33 per month for 36 months
Medical insurance coverage up to NZ$600 annually for 3 years
Recipients can undertake PhD study in any discipline at any of New Zealand eight Universities:
AUT University, Lincoln University, Massey University, University of Auckland, University of Canterbury, University of Otago, University of Waikato, Victoria University of Wellington.
In order to receive the scholarship, you must meet ALL five of the following eligibility criterion.
1. be a citizen of any country except New Zealand, Australia and Fiji
2. hold a minimum equivalent 3.6/4.0 GPA OR A / A+ average in your most recent or highest post graduate tertiary qualification
3. conduct your PhD study in New Zealand (not from a distance)
4. meet the requirements for direct entry into a PhD programme at a New Zealand University. This includes; having completed the required academic qualifications for direct entry and meeting the requirements for English language proficiency
5. If you have commenced your PhD studies in New Zealand, your start date must be after 15 January 2014
The scholarships are awarded based on academic excellence and the impact of the proposed research for New Zealand. Research projects should have a tangible, positive effect on:
New Zealand’s economy, in terms of international trade and business development in key sectors
Or, New Zealand’s population in terms of health and safety
Or, Research and scholarship in the above two areas
Before you start
Review the NZIDRS Eligibility checklist and the Required Document Checklist
Read the NZIDRS Terms and Conditions
Please do not apply for the NZIDRS if you do not meet all eligibility criteria or you cannot provide all required documents by .
How to apply
1. Download and complete the NZIDRS 2014 application form.
2. Submit your form and required documents to Education New Zealand before . The Application form contains detailed instructions as to how to submit your application and documents.
All forms are provided for download below in Word Doc and Writable PFD format.