Scholarships offered by the Romanian State to foreign citizens through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in keeping with Government Decision No 288/1993 for the 2016- 2017 academic year
Number of scholarships: 85 scholarships for under-
and post-graduate studies in Romania, by means of selection of
application files organised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) and
the Ministry of Education and Scientific Research (MECS in Romanian),
in keeping with Romanian current legislation.
1. General conditions:
Who can qualify: citizens of non EU countries (irrespective of their country of residence). Priority is given to citizens from non EU states with which Romania does not have cultural and education cooperation agreements. Mention should be made that foreign citizens of Romanian origin and those belonging to the neighboring historic Romanian communities benefit from other scholarship program offered by the Romanian state.
The scholarships are granted for three levels of study:
a) for the first cycle (licenta): This scheme is dedicated to graduates of high schools or of equivalent pre-university systems, as well as to candidates who require the equivalent of partial studies and the continuation of their studies in Romania. The complete cycle of university studies lasts for 3 to 6 years, according to the specific requirements of the chosen faculty, and ends with a final examination (licenta);
b) for the 2nd cycle (master): This scheme is dedicated to graduates of university/post graduate studies; it lasts for 1,5 to 2 years and ends with a dissertation;
c) for the 3rd cycle (doctorate) this scheme is dedicated to the graduates of university/postgraduate studies (i.e. master); it lasts for 3-4 years, in keeping with the specific requirements of the chosen faculty, and ends with a doctor’s thesis.Priority fields: priority will be given to the candidates applying for: political and administrative sciences, education studies, Romanian culture and civilization, journalism, technical studies, oil and gas, agricultural studies, veterinary medicine, architecture, music, arts.
Language of Study: In order to promote Romanian language and culture, the Ministry of National Education has decided that the beneficiaries of the scholarships should study only in the Romanian language. The candidates who do not know Romanian are offered one supplementary preparatory year to study the language. The students who declare that they know already Romanian language have to pass a language test organized by the competent higher education institutions.
2. The scholarship consists of:
- Free-of-charge tuition,
- Free-of-charge accommodation (depending on availability, accommodation will be offered free-of-charge in students hostels, in keeping with the higher education regulations and within the limits of the sums available for this purpose),
- Financial support - a monthly amount representing :
- the equivalent in Romanian currency of 65 EURO per month, for the under-graduate students (1st cycle),
- the equivalent in Romanian currency of 75 EURO per month, for post-graduate students (master degrees and specialization) 2nd cycle,
- RI737126839CN the equivalent in Romanian currency of 85 EURO per month, for post graduate students (doctor’s degree) 3rd cycle.
Calendar of financial support:
The monthly amount mentioned above is granted to the students of the 1st (licenta) and 2nd (master) cycle throughout the whole academic year, the winter and spring vacation included, but not during the summer vacation.
For full-time students of the 3rd cycle (doctorate), the monthly amount is granted throughout the whole calendar year.
Important for all scholarship holders (under and post-graduate): The scholarships will be suspended if the student in any education cycle repeats a year due to poor results. It may be resumed in the following academic year, after the student has successfully graduated the repeated year. The students who repeat an academic year must pay the full study fees and accommodation.
3. EnrolmentTo get all the necessary information about the scholarships (conditions, necessary documents, enrolment calendar) and to submit their application files, the candidates should apply directly to:
- the Romanian diplomatic missions accredited to the candidate’s country of origin or of residence or to
- the diplomatic mission of candidate’s state of origin accredited to Bucharest
Applications files should contain documents in English or French language.
If the application files contain documents in other foreign languages than English or French, they must be accompanied by authorized translations in one of the following languages: Romanian, English or French. Generally, Romanian universities may require that all enrolment documents should be accompanied by authorized copies and authorized translations in Romanian.It is of utmost importance to fill in correctly all forms.